Friday, September 21, 2012

FINDING GHALIB IN OLD DELHI


That day I don't know what came upon me I just went for the streets of Old Delhi.. it was mainly the food of Old Delhi that pulled me there.. the parathas of the famous parathe wali gali and definitely the house of Ghalib the famous poet.. these always intrigued me to visit there.. so that day was the perfect day to celebrate the old Delhi with me walking.. the streets as always crowded with people.. sellers trying to sell their items starting from T-Shirts to Turtle doves and bidders bidding... the cycle walas and the rickshaw wala making their way through the thin gullis making sounds of whistle to let the passer by know about their existence.. the beautifully decorated shops.. smiling faces.. old ladies sitting on the streets with their small chair basking in the sun and having peanuts.. that did make the roads thinner and slimmer chances of you not bumping into another person or a cycle but they were just not bothered about the chaos.. the food stalls mmmm the lovely smell of freshly cooked 'chole bhature' which definitely watered my mouth plenty of times.. but at that time I had just one thing in my mind finding the Kothi where Ghalib lived.. while walking looked up at the sky and could see the blue through the mesh of wires hanging precariously.. small windows, balconies, flower pots and even people standing on the balcony overlooking the crowd.. they all looked so wonderful.. suddenly a thought came in my mind.. how did these gullis look when Ghalib walked here.. hopefully it was not this chaotic.. I just kept walking from one gully to another.. asking people for directions towards the house of Ghalib.. I dont know for how long I walked but I felt tired and felt that I wont be able to find what I am searching for.. and I stopped in front of a temple.. and for the last time thought to give it a try and asked a passer by about the house.. he looked at me and smiled.. his eyes soft and happy and he in his heavy voice said "follow me".. with little surprises which was definitely visible on my face I started following him.. he guided me through thin a thin gully and I felt that he could guess what was going on in my mind.. he stopped and looked at me and said "madam ji bharosa karo humpe hum aapke dushman nahi hai.. aap Ghalib ki haveli dekhna chahti hai to hum aap ko vahi le jayenge.." and he smiled and dont know why even with all the curiosity in my mind about this man I smiled back at him.. we started our walk again and at one time he turned towards a place which had broken walls and some construction work going on.. he stooped in front of that house and looked at me and said "aiye ye hi hai Ghalib ki Haveli".. finally I was standing in front of what I was searching for.. in no time I felt I was a part of it.. a strange feeling engulfed me.. and my guide.. my guide!!!!! he just vanished into thin air.. and I could feel the presence of Ghalib everywhere.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment