Friday, January 31, 2014

I am Fine, Thank you


There is nothing the matter with me.
I am as healthy as I can be
I have arthritics in both my knees
And when I talk, I talk with wheeze my pulse is
weak and my blood is thin
But I am awfully well for the shape I’m in

Arch support I have for my feet
Or I wouldn’t be able to be on the street
Sleep is denied me night after night
But every morning I find I’m all right.
My memory is failing; my head is in a spin,
But I am awfully well for the shape I, m in.

The morale is this as my tale I unfold,
that for you and me who are growing old
It is better to say I’m fine with a grin,
Then to let folks know the shape we are in. 

How do I know that my youth is all spent?
Well, my “get up and go” has got up and went.
But I really don’t mind when I think with a grin
Of all the grand places my “Get up” has been.

Old age is golden I‘ve heard it said,
But sometimes, I wonder as I get into bed
With my ears in the drawers, my teeth in the cup
My eyes on the table until I wake up
Eternal sleep overtake’s me, I say to myself,
Is there anything else I could lay on the shelf?


When I was young my slippers were red
I could kick my heals over my head
When I was older my sleeper’s were blue
But still I could dance the whole night through
Now I m old my slippers are black
I walk to the store and pull my way back.

I get up each morning and dust off my wits
And pick up the paper and read the “obits”
If my name is still missing I know I’ m not dead so,
I have a good breakfast and go back to bed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment