Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Soldier's Final Inspection



The soldier stood and faced God
Which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining
Just as brightly as his brass.

Steps forward now, soldier,
How shall I deal with you ?
Have you always turned the other cheek ?
To my church you have been true
The soldier squared his shoulders and said
No lord, I guess I ain’t
Because those of us who carry guns
Can’t always be a saint.

I have had to work most Sundays
And at times my talk was tough
And sometimes I have been violent
Because the world is awfully rough

But I never took a penny
That wasn’t mine to keep
Though I worked a lot of overtime
When the bills got just too steep

Though at times I shook with fear
And some times, God forgive me
I have wept unmanly tears.

I know I don’t deserve a place
Among the people here
They never wanted me around
Except to chain their fears.

And I never passed a cry for help,
If you have place for me here, lord,
It needn’t be so grand
I never expected or had too much
But if you don’t I will understand

Here was silence all around the thrown
Where the saint had often trod
As the soldier waited quietly
For the judgment of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment