Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Birds and the Wisdom They Impart



This morning, listening to the birds greet a,
Beautiful sunny   fall’s morning, it occurred to me,
that  rain or  shine  the birds  always  greet  the morning  in the exactly  the  same  way.
They   always start it singing. With all their might
greeting   the  day  with  their  beautiful songs  and  just  getting  on with  the  business  of living life fully,
One can learn so much by watching them. 

I like to feed the birds on my balcony
I live in an apartment and can't have any pets,
As it is against the rules, I mainly sparrows and
speckled   turtledoves , a  couple  of pigeons  and in summer  I  get  regular  visits  from rainbow lorikeets, All  are fun  to watch  and all bring joy to my  heart, Watching  them is relaxing and a form  of meditation  for me... 

The  other day , one  of the pigeons  had  got  himself   stuck  in my balcony   railing , I   thought he  was  dead, It  made  me so sad  and then when I  went outside  it started  to struggle , My heart was  filled  with joy, it  was not  dead  just  exhausted, from  the  effort  of  trying  to free himself... 

As  i approached  the  bird  , he  got more frantic so  I  soothingly  told him not to struggle , He  froze , perhaps  in fear,  I  like  to think  that  he
could  feel  the  vibration  of  my  not  wanting to harm  him ,  I gently  placed  my hand  under him (he  was  so light)  and  I lifted   him up  to set him free,  He  flew  up  to  the roof  of my  flat  and watched  as I put  the  usual  seeds  out,  Low  and behold  , after  his  ordeal  he came righ back  down to  my  balcony  and  ate  his breakfast  with the rest of  the birds, 

Why am I   sharing  all  this ? Well for one,
It was amazing to actually hold a wild pigeon
in  my hands  even if it  was  for just  one second  and  I  just  had  to share , but  I also  could not  resist  sharing  the lesson  that  this  situation brought my way. 

Life   is full of obstacles   some very real
like   the  bars  holding  the  pigeon  back, and  some are imagined  but  we struggle   against  them till  we are  exhausted,  Sometimes  the answer  is with a friend, All  it  takes  is a little lift, a little guidance ,
in the right  direction  and  a way we go .
Free  again  to  soar  just  like my  little feathered  friend

The  biggest  lesson  however , from all this  is how my  little  feathered  friend  recovered  from  the situation , He  didn't  sit  on the roof  looking  down  at  the  evil balcony  that  had tried  to trap  him  , he   didn't  relive   the frightening  situation over, Nope   ' Down  he  came  to eat  his breakfast  and   live  the life  he  was meant  to live. 

We  can  Lear  so  much  from  birds, They  truly know  how  to  live in  the now, I  believe  the lesson  here  is  that  sometimes  life  is hard  and  we get  stuck  but  often  help  , in  form  of a friend
Can set   us to set us free, Remaining free however is up to us... 

Another  thing  that  i have  noticed  is  that  while feeding  , some  of the birds  are rather  aggressive  and  tend  to  chase  away  the  others  trying  to keep  all  the seeds  to themselves, The fanny  part  is that  they  can't  chase all of them away  and  that while  they  are  so busy  chasing  the others away they  are missing out..... 

How often  do  we  do  that  in life ?
Just getting  on  with a job , we  watch  and
Criticize  others  only  to  find   that  while  we have been  busy  trying  to  assert  ourselves  and  prove  how   good  we  are, that  all  of  a sudden  a quiet achiever  has  managed  to  do  the  job  and reap  the  Reward  we  were  so  trying  to  reap....


Isn't  it amazing  how  so many  life  lessons can be  found  just  by  observing nature's  creatures".

No comments:

Post a Comment